How to exercise your data subject rights
This article provides some general information on how to contact Airbnb in order to exercise your data subject rights under applicable law. If you have any general questions about privacy or data protection at Airbnb, you can send us an email.
If you reside in mainland China, please review the information that applies to you.
How to deactivate your account
When you deactivate your account, any current reservations you have as a host or a guest will be deemed automatically canceled by you, and the relevant cancellation policy will apply. If, in the future, you want to reopen a deactivated account, you’ll need to contact us.
You can deactivate your account yourself through your account settings.
If you want to deactivate a listing instead of deactivating your account, learn how.
You can reactivate your account by contacting us.
How to delete your account
You can delete your account and its data by going to Account and selecting Privacy & sharing.
You can always review information within your Airbnb account dashboard.
Obtaining a copy the account data Airbnb holds about you
To download a copy of your personal data, you can submit a request by going to your Account and selecting Privacy & sharing. This process involves initiating a request, a security check to ensure we’re not handing over your data to another person, and then coming back to download the data file. For more details about the contents of your access file, find out more about understanding the contents of your access request or data file.
Right to portability
In certain jurisdictions, the applicable law may allow you to receive a copy of the personal information you have provided to Airbnb. If you’re permitted to exercise this right, you can request to receive certain personal information in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format. Alternatively, you can request that we transmit this information to another service provider, where technically feasible.
Exercising your right to portability
For a complete copy of your data, you can download a file by going to Account and selecting Privacy & sharing.
Opt out from marketing communications
Exercising your right to opt out from receiving marketing emails, notifications, text messages, or calls
You can change your marketing preferences at any time by either clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any marketing email, or by logging in to your account and following these steps:
- Go to Account and click Notifications
- Go to Travel tips and offers and deselect the marketing communications you'd like to stop receiving
If you are still receiving emails from Airbnb after opting out
We will continue to use the contact details you provided in order to send you notifications related to a service you have requested (ex: booking confirmation emails, transactional emails). If you do not want to receive any notifications from Airbnb (including service messages), you’ll need to de-activate or delete your Airbnb account.
Opting out of Airbnb usage of personal data for direct marketing purposes, including sharing your data with third parties for marketing purposes
Object to processing
How to object to Airbnb’s processing of some of your personal data for certain specific purposes
If permitted under the laws of the jurisdiction where you reside, you may request that Airbnb not process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing, Airbnb will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing, or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims.
You may exercise your rights to object to processing by sending us an email.
Non-user data subject rights
- Specify your country of residence
- For letters, include “Attn. Legal Privacy” at the top of the address
- For emails and letters, include the subject “Privacy Data Subject Right Request”
Note that before taking action on your request, Airbnb may need to confirm your identity.
Other methods to request data subject rights
- Subject: “Privacy Data Subject Right Request”
- Your specific Airbnb ID (the number at the end of the link for your profile)
- Your country of residence
- GuestDeactivating or deleting your accountYou can temporarily deactivate your account and reactivate it later, or you can permanently delete it.
- GuestUnderstanding the contents of my personal data fileGet general information to help you better understand and navigate through the contents of your account data file.
- I'm a user from mainland China. How do I exercise my data subject rights?Read about privacy and data protection and the ways you can manage your data, from how we communicate to data portability.