Experience Protection Insurance
What is Experience Protection Insurance?
Our Experience Protection Insurance program provides experience hosts with liability coverage for bodily injury or property damage to guests or third parties due to an accident during an experience provided by the host. Our Experience Protection Insurance program does not cover hosts for damage to or loss of their own property that occurs during an experience.
Our Experience Protection Insurance program in Japan provides coverage under a policy issued by Sompo Japan Insurance Inc. at no additional costs to hosts.
To learn how to submit a payment request under the Experience Protection Insurance program, please see the information below.
Our Experience Protection Insurance program coverage extents to hosts worldwide, except for jurisdictions subject to US sanctions laws.
Experience Protection Insurance in Japan is provided under a separate policy with Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Insurance Inc.
Different coverage limits and terms may apply.
When does the coverage begin and end?
The current term of the policy underlying the Experience Protection Insurance program began on July 31, 2021 and expires on July 31, 2022.
Who is eligible for coverage?
Experience hosts are covered under the Experience Protection Insurance program if the incident that results in legal liability for either bodily injury or property damage claim arises during an experience provided by the host within the term of the policy.
An experience is defined as an activity offered by an experience host(s) and accessed through Airbnb’s website or app.
An experience host is defined as a person or entity approved to list an experience on Airbnb’s website or app.
For purposes of this definition, an experience host will also:
(i) include a third party that puts together an itinerary or organizes one or more experiences for Airbnb guests, even if not providing the experience directly; and
(ii) co-host that provides services in connection with an experience, and certain third parties that contract with the experience host to provide a venue in connection with an experience.
Limits of liability
Our Experience Protection Insurance program provides coverage with a limit up to ¥100,000,000 JPY per each occurrence.
What does Experience Protection Insurance not cover?
Experience Protection Insurance excludes mainly:
- Liability caused by the host’s deliberate act
- Liability caused by war, foreign use of military force, revolution, insurrection, civil unrest, or armed rebellion
- Liability for relatives of the hosts household
- Liability caused by bodily disability suffered by the host’s employee during host’s work
- Liability caused by drainage or exhaust
- Liability enhanced by a special agreement regarding damages between the host and others
- Nuclear risk, asbestos risk, pollution risk
- Professional occupation risk
- Liability caused by ownership, operation and maintenance of an aircraft or automobile, or ownership, operation, and maintenance of a watercraft or vehicle outside of a facility
- Liability for goods or foods and beverages that are no longer in the possession of hosts, or other properties that are no longer in the possession of hosts and are outside of a facility
- Liability arising from damage to materials to be supplied, etc.
Please notify Airbnb immediately if you become aware of any bodily injury or property damage that may be subject to coverage under this policy.
This Experience Protection Insurance overview does not include all the terms of the insurance policy. To request a copy of the insurance policy, please contact Marsh Japan, Inc. and include your Airbnb account information.